Thursday, June 14, 2007

Summer Activities

Our summers have been busy the past few years. As a kid, I did not get to participate in summer activities and because of this, I have allowed my kids to (almost) join every summer activity they want to. I say 'almost' because last year they didn't do everything they wanted. I initially had their events penciled in on the calendar and then they wanted to join one or two more activities so I showed them the calendar so they could see how busy they already were and let them make the decision whether to add those extra activities. They decided not to. They wanted pool time and time to just play in the neighborhood with friends. Good choice, kids!

This summer we're not quite as busy as previous summers for a few reasons: 1) we're in a new town, 2) we just didn't know how many activities they could participate in if I was going to be working, and 3) there were time conflicts. (And I say 'we're not quite as busy' because I'm the one who has to get them to their activities.)

Here's what our summer months look like. I like to color code activities and I just hate it when I have more activities than I do highlighter colors. :)

JUNE


JULY


AUGUST

Hayley is participating in golf league, tennis lessons, softball, and swimming lessons. Tanner is participating in golf league, tennis lessons, summer reading program, and swimming lessons. The only activity I require is swimming lessons - those are non-negotiable. The rest are up to them. Last year, in addition to the above activities, Tanner participated in basketball and arts & crafts, while Hayley participated in basketball, arts & crafts, and dance. So as you can see, this summer is a breeze!

We start out busy and as the summer goes on, we get less busy with activities. Therefore, we plan our vacations for August. However, we haven't decided yet what we want to do this year. Any suggestions?

I know some people think it's not good to overschedule your kids but I don't. They do. And as long as they are enjoying themselves, that's all that matters to me.

10 Visitors:

Jamie said...

I agree...as long as they are having fun then more the merrier!

I love all the things kids can be in. When I was little there was a few things but not like now.

Amber said...

My girls are in a ton of things...I figure, once they start not wanting to go..then we'll quit!

Tracy said...

I agree...it is great for them to keep busy. Less time to get into trouble or be BORED as kids tend to get these days!!

Great coloring system. It looks like something I would do! :)

Just Mom said...

You color code your calendar?! Boy, could I use some organization tips from you.

Kerrie said...

I agree - if they want to keep busy over the summer - more power to them. And good for them, actually.

Home Seller said...

First of all, I love the color coding! Summer trip -- all of the tourist stuff in Rapid/Black Hills would be fun, what about a resort in MN? zoo in Omaha? Tubing down the river in Nebraska or MN? I have heard the Nebraska one is more for kids. Zoo/Valley Fair in the cities? let us know what you decide to do!

Amanda said...

Alex is pretty busy this summer as well and I'm all about allowing him to experience new things so I'm all for it. When it's not fun anymore, we'll quite.

Vacation - have you ever been to the dells before?

Andrea said...

We did the Black Hills last summer, of course, we didn't see everything but we'll go back in a couple years.

I have thought about the Omaha Zoo and Valley Fair.

I've never been to the Dells.

Good suggestions, Kate & Amanda. I'll take them into consideration.
I'll let you know what we finally decide. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Lori said...

Thanks for letting me view your calendar too.

I have to be organized to keep up with everyone's activities.
Derek was in baseball, football camp, basketball camp, swimming lessons, and summe reading program.
Megan was involved in the summer reading program, swimming lessons,and sporties for shorties.

Lori said...

Thanks for letting me view your calendar too.

I have to be organized to keep up with everyone's activities.
Derek was in baseball, football camp, basketball camp, swimming lessons, and summe reading program.
Megan was involved in the summer reading program, swimming lessons,and sporties for shorties.