Thursday, August 16, 2007

Summer Vacation - 2007

Last weekend was our fun but low-key summer vacation.

Saturday morning we headed to the fair in SF. This was the first time we've been there. Of course, it had to be 95 degrees!! I like it hot but not this hot, especially when we're planning to be outside all day. We spent FIVE HOT hours (11 to 4) there before we finally called a time out. We checked into our hotel so the kids could swim. Dean & I had enough points on our separate hotel rewards cards for a free night but with Dean's they were fully booked and with mine we could only get a Level 1 or Level 2 hotel. We normally stay at the nice Ramada with the wonderful waterpark which is a Level 3 hotel or the Best Western with the waterpark - no rewards card. Being I didn't feel like spending $160+/night for a rewards room at the Ramada when I could get a room for free elsewhere, we decided to stay at the Ramada Limited. Well, we won't be staying there again. The hotel was alright. We've definitely seen much worse. The pool was so lame. They closed the hot tub 15 minutes after we got there (which after being outside in 95 degree heat I don't know why the kids wanted to sit in there in the first place - I normally don't allow them to sit for more than 5 minutes anyways) and there was so much chlorine in the pool that our eyes just stung sitting in the room. Needless to say, the kids did not enjoy the pool and only swam for 30 minutes. Next time we'll go for the waterpark!

The kids were a bit timid of the rides when we first got to the fair. After some (ok, LOTS) of prodding from Dean & I, the kids finally started going on them and LOVED them! They couldn't get enough!! The ferris wheel took A LOT of prodding for Tanner and then he gripped that center bar tight the whole time! Watching the kids on some of those rides got me sick to my stomach. It's a good thing I didn't go on them!! Plus, with it being so hot, we drank and drank and drank LOTS of liquids!! But no one got sick! YEA!!

After swimming, we went to Olive Garden for a yummy supper! Then we went to Falls Park which the kids really enjoyed. At 8:30 we headed back to the fair so we could see it in the dark and stayed until 10:30. Then we headed back to the hotel and finally crawled into bed about 11:30. What a late night - especially for the kids! Our feet were killing us after being on them for 8 hours!!


On Sunday Dean went golfing with my friend Ellie's husband, Mike, while the kids and I shopped for back-to-school clothes. We found quite a bit for Hayley, some for Tanner, and quite a bit for me. Oh yeah, I'm not going back to school. Oh well, I thought I needed some more new clothes anyways. After golfing, Dean joined us for some shopping. Aftewards we met Ellie & her family at Chevy's for supper and then went back to their house to visit. We finally got home about 10:15!! We were pooped! I told Dean to grab the toiletry bag and leave everything else in the car and I would unpack it on Monday! Our feet were way past killing us after being on them for an additional 7 hours!! (No, I don't wear appropriate shoes - I believe in fashion before function!)

I was hoping to get to the Omaha Zoo but right now it doesn't seem like it's going to work out this year. :( Although our vacation was low-key this year (last year we went to the Black Hills), we had lots of fun!

3 Visitors:

Tracy said...

Looks like alot of fun was had by all...

Jamie said...

Fun pictures!! The Falls Park is so pretty. I think you have a couple pictures in there frame worthy!!

Have a great weekend!

Kerrie said...

Great pictures. The ones of the kids at Falls Park were great!